Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Episode: The Screamer

Birdie has become our "Screamer"! Yes, loud and clear,...ALL night long.
 Let me go back to sum up my opinion of the why.
At 7weeks old she was admitted to Children's hospital and diagnosed with FTT/ Failure to thrive.
Basically, she wasn't gaining weight like they thought she should be and we needed to know why. So after 2 1/2 days in the hospital, 3 formula changes, stopping all nursing and breast milk, 3 doctors,a home nurse, and feeding more frequently we decided she was doing best on the Similac Advanced 22cal. every 2-3 hours around the clock. No skipping or sleeping through feedings. She HAD to gain weight and they wanted it fast.
Over the next 6 weeks I have been told to increase her volume by 1/2 oz each feeding once a week. Her original goal was 16-24oz/day. That meant she started at around 2 1/2-3 oz per feeding. She is now up to 4-4 1/2 oz every 3-4 hours. Here's where things get sketchy for me.
 She is suppose to get a minimum of 20oz/day now. They would like 24 oz average
4 1/2 oz x 6 feeding(every 4hours) = 27 oz And they wanted 8 feedings if possible or every 3 hours?!?! Which would be a total of 36oz!!!!!
So 27oz is 3oz more than what she is suppose to get in 24 hours.
Now from what I understand her stomach is only the size of an egg! So to me, an extra 3oz is a lot!
Which is why, IMO we were up and down...up and down...all night long with her screaming, flexing, flipping, scrunching up into a ball with a severe stomach ache.
Also, the formula has added iron! Which we all know means....no pooping going on!
I am exhausted, frustrated.....
I'm seriously going to overdose on coffee!
Lord, Keep my motor runnin'! This momma is done!
3rd kid and I still have no clue!
Hope your Wednesday is brighter than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment